The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) was founded on 16 November 1945.British Consulate - Venice
Address: Piazzale Donatori di Sangue 2/5
Phone local: (041) 505.5990
Fax local: (041) 950.254
Web site http://ukinitaly.fco.gov.uk
Based on the mainland in Mestre, the Consulate provides assistance for British Citizens. It is responsible for the Regions of Veneto and Fruili-Venezia-Giulia and is open to the public Monday to Friday from
10 am until 1 pm.Circolo Italo-Britannico Venezia
English speaking association in Venice concerned with the cultural relations between Italy, Great Britain and all other English speaking countries.
Activities comprise weekly lectures and presentations in English on a wide range of subjects given by academics or professionals expert in their specific fields.
To contact for details of the programme please email firstname.lastname@example.org Regione Veneto - Regional administrationwww.regione.veneto.it
Pollution abatement within the lagoon watershed area is the responsibility of the Veneto Region, which has established a framework programme of measures to monitor and reduce pollution in the drainage basin. The Regione is also responsible for drawing up the territorial plan for the conservation and development of the Venice environmental and settlement system. Provincia di Venezia - Provincial adminstrationwww.provincia.venezia.it
The Provincial Administration does not participate in the Comitatone, except on a consultative basis, although it oversees certain key elements of Venice's natural resources, along with about 40 other municipalities within its domain. It has some land use management and environmental protection responsibilities. It is also responsible for certain restructurings and restorations financed by the Special Law. Comune de Venezia - Venice Municipalitywww.comune.venezia.it
The Venice Municipality governs the main urban areas of the lagoon - the historic center of Venice, Lido, the islands of Murano, Burano, Mazzorbo and Torcello, and the coastal strip of Pellestrina and San Pietro in Volta in the southern lagoon, as well as Mestre and Marghera.
In the context of the Special Law, the Comune must look after Venice's historical, cultural, architectural and environmental heritage while also addressing the social-economic factors that determine the city's identity and well-being.Europa Nostrawww.europanostra.org
Europa Nostra actively follows developments on the international heritage scene and policy developments affecting the conservation and restoration of heritage. Requests for intervention are submitted directly or through Europa Nostra's Council members and after thorough study of the dossiers by the Management Committee, a decision is taken by the Council as to the best action to undertake.
Chorus, the Venice Churches Associationwww.chorusvenezia.org
A great part of Venice's artistic treasure lies in its churches, many of which are architectural masterworks, rich in paintings, sculptures and precious objects by great masters and amongst the most beautiful in the world. Chorus is the Association of Venice Churches, and its aim is to contribute to the safeguard, conservation, restoration and valorisation of the immense artistic, historical and cultural heritage of churches in Venice and its territories.Vela al Terzo Associaton - Venicewww.velaalterzo.it
Venice, together with Amalfi, Pisa and Genova was once one of the four Marine Republics, long before Italy was united. Its position on the sea lead to the development of a long, glorious marine culture strongly rooted in the territory. The Vela al Terzo association, uniting almost 100 members, aims to bring out the maritime culture of Venice and its value, promoting events, regattas, sailing courses and so on, and diffusing the knowledge of the Lagoon and its history.ANCE Veneziawww.ancevenezia.it
Founded in 1945, Ance Venezia (the Venice Building Constructors and Related Association)is today the main reference point for the building industry in the district of Venice. The association's goal is that of helping members, both as individuals and as groups, in any matter and problem related to building industry in the Venice district. This is their website, with plenty of useful information for their members and for those who work in the field.La Fenice www.teatrolafenice.it
La Fenice in Venice has always been renowned as one of the world's most beautiful opera houses. It originally opened in 1792 but burnt down and was rebuilt in 1836. A century later it needed and received restoration but burnt down again in the terrible fire of January 1996. Following a lengthy reconstruction La Fenice was reopened on 14th December 2003. Venice In Peril launched an appeal to aid the rebuilding following the fire in January 1996. There was outstanding support for this appeal and the sum raised was £210,000. It was agreed to finance the reproduction of the great chandelier that hung in the auditorium.St George's Anglican Churchhttp://www.stgeorgesvenice.com/
Chiesa San Giorgio
Campo San Vio
Telephone +39 041 0990019History of Saint George's Church
Sir Henry Wotton's embassy from King James 1 to the Most Serene Republic brought the first Anglican chaplaincy to Venice in 1604. Anglican chaplains always accompanied both resident and extraordinary diplomatic missions until Venice was incorporated into Napoleon's Regno Italico between 1805 - 1814. After the Congress of Vienna, Great Britain established a consulate in Venice, and Anglican services were held there by visiting clergy for English-speaking communities in the Mediterranean area.
At the time of the unification of Italy, the Reverend John Davies Merriwether, Cavaliere della Corona d'Italia, settled in Venice and held Anglican services in his flat in Palazzo Contarini-Corfu until 1887. In 1888 a committee was formed to establish a permanent chaplaincy in Venice. Its members were, with the Bishop of Gibraltar & two clergy; Sir Henry Layard, Horatio Brown, and Alexander Malcolm, all resident in Venice.
In 1889, title was obtained to the present church in Campo San Vio. Ever since Saint George's Church has been the 'English church in Venice for the sole use of the English and American episcolpalian residents and visitor therein'. In 1980, the Diocese of Gibraltar and the Jurisdiction of Northern Europe became part of the Province of Canterbury in the Church of England as the Diocese of Gibraltar in Europe.
Holy Communion at 10.30am Sundays and Holy Days.Vogalonga