Phillips de Pury are managing the sales of the works of art, including the London auction, for the Real Venice exhbition opening at the Venice Biennale 2011.
Phillips was founded in London 1796 by Harry Phillips and was soon holding sales for some of the most distinguished collectors of the day including Marie Antoinette, Beau Brummel and Napoleon. Phillips quickly gained the confidence of the British aristocracy and remains the only auction house ever to have held a sale inside Buckingham Palace.
In 1999, the company was bought by Bernard Arnault, the chairman of the French luxury good brand, Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessey (LVMH). Shortly after the transaction, Mr. Arnault merged with the esteemed private art dealers, Simon de Pury and Daniela Luxembourg creating the new team Phillips, de Pury & Luxembourg. In 2002, de Pury and Luxembourg took majority control of the company with a new remit to focus solely on the sale of the best works of Contemporary Art, Design, Jewelry, Photography and Editions. In October 2008, Mercury Group, the Russian luxury retail company, acquired majority share of Phillips de Pury & Company to further enable the company’s expansion.