Church of San Giorgio Maggiore


San Giorgio Maggiore, Crucifix, 1984 San Giorgio Maggiore's polychrome wooden crucifix is probably the one given in 1468 to the earlier church that stood on this site. Carved locally, it is very important in the evolution of Venetian imagery of the crucified Christ. In 1984, thanks to a donation from the Foundation Jean-Barthelemy, the flaking paint surface was consolidated and the whole sculpture strengthened.

Web design by Surge Solutions