Jewish Cemetery, 1999
Three and a half centuries of neglect were finally reversed with the completion of the comprehensive restoration of the Ancient Jewish Cemetery on the Lido, first established in 1386. Unused since the end of the 18th century when the "new" cemetery was opened, the old burial ground had become overgrown with vegetation and overcrowded with tombstones, many of them randomly scattered and broken. The work, financed jointly by public authorities and a group of the Private Committees, involved the drainage, excavation, and raising of a large marshy area. The hundreds of stones, many dating from the 16th and 17th centuries restored and partially re-sited; a thorough census of the tombstones and their inscriptions was made, and control was gradually re-established over the vegitation. The Cemetery is now open to the public every Sunday and on certain other days by arrangement with the Jewish Museum in the Ghetto.
Further information on the project can be found here.