Palazzo Ducale, Capitals
Following the success with the Porta della Carta, the director of the Palazzo Ducale approached Venice in Peril for help with the 14th- and 15th-century capitals. Public funding had already been allocated for the renovation of the vaulted rooms where they were being stored, but there was not enough to cover restoration of the capitals themselves. The capitals, one dating as early as 1344, were originally designed for the ground floor colonnade facing the Bacino and the Piazzetta, but had been replaced with copies during the repairs of the 1880s. Cleaning and consolidation revealed the superb carved detail, much praised by Ruskin, and these 15 capitals now form the centrepiece in the palace's new ground-floor museum.