The iconostasis – a screen with icons between sanctuary and nave – is richly expressive of Veneto-Byzantine tradition. The stonework dates to 1100 and the paintings to the early 15C.
The First World War Memorial doors of Venice’s Anglican Church were cast from British cannon in the Arsenale foundry in the 1920s.
Cleaning and consolidation of three Byzantine reliefs and a Renaissance holy water stoup, in Cappella Zen, adjoining the narthex of Basilica of San Marco
The marble memorial to sculptor Antonio Canova in the church of the Frari is Venice’s most striking monument from the age of neo-classicism.
In the third courtyard of the Procuratie Nuove, Piazza San Marco, facing a staircase leading to the apartments of the ex-Palazzo Reale, an allegorical stone sculpture of a winged female figure with a small elephant can be seen.
Antonio Canova modelled these lions on his tomb for the Venetian Pope Clement XII. Used as drawing models by students from 1840 they have now been restored.
Four ‘bozzetti’ or models by Antonio Canova including The Wrestlers, a Pieta, a figure of Apollo and a model for the tomb of Titian, underwent conservation in 2011.
In memory of Carla Thorneycroft DBE, 1914-2007, a Venetian by birth who played a key role in the early years of Venice in Peril Fund.
Spectacularly sited but vulnerable 16th-century chapel on the cemetery island of San Michele involved the overhaul of 19th-century restorations and was a long and difficult project which took place between 2001-06.
Restoration and conservation of brickwork porch and Byzantine stonecarvings on the ‘Protiro’ of the Church of the Carmini.