Renaissance Doorway and Rose Window, church of San Rocco
About the project
The conservation of the richly detailed Renaissance doorway of the church of San Rocco and the rose window above it, was funded by Martin Randall Travel after organising a music festival in the adjacent Scuola di San Rocco in 2001-02.
Contributions from those who attended the festival funded the analysis of the stone and cleaning.
Originally the doorway was built for the main facade of the church but it was moved in 1765 when a baroque remodelling of the church took place.
Martin Randall Travel also funded the conservation of the organ in the Carmelite church of Scalzi in 2003-4 and the altarpiece for the Cappella San Atanasio, attributed to Palma Il Vecchio, in the church of San Zaccaria, in 2006-7.
- The church of San Rocco is adjacent to the Scuola Grande di San Rocco with its famous cycles of Tintoretetto paintings.
- At the same time as Martin Randall Travel funded the conservation of the doorway and Rosone, or rose window, the interior frescoes were also conserved.
- If you are interested in funding a conservation project, please contact us.